Math: 1950-2007

My recent post about 1973 vs 2007 got a lot of traffic so here is something else in a similar vein. I didn't write either one of them, by the way, but I wish I had.


Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter
girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents
from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel
and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed
her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she
hailed the manager for help . While he tried to explain the transaction
to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?

Answer: Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950's.

1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?


3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number
20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?

(There are no wrong answers. )


6. Teaching Math In 2007

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

1 comment:

juandos said...

See what happens when we allow the village LIBTARDS to slowly seep into and pollute the education system?