Et-tu Jen

In Austin you see cars with bumper stickers saying "Keep Austin Weird." If you haven't been here you don't know how true this is. I once remarked to a friend that "it takes all kinds." He replied "No, it doesn't, but we sure have all kinds."

I say this to let you know that conservative Christian bloggers are not common in these parts. There is at least one other, however: Et-tu Jen is a young woman who grew up as an atheist, and her excellent blog chronicles her journey to becoming a believer. I've been slowly working my way through her archives and it is a fascinating story.

Jen was kind enough to recommend Driving Out The Snakes in a recent post, so I'm hereby returning the favor. Check it out.

1 comment:

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Thanks!! The wonderful Darwins are around here too. Lucky Austin!

A couple examples for people who aren't familiar with Austin:

- In 2004 I had a Bush bumper sticker on my car and my car was keyed and the sticker ripped off. I wasn't surprised at all.

- A couple years ago we had not one but *two* homeless transvestites on the ballot for mayor. Neither came in last.

- I was on an email list for women in technology in Austin. Literally less than 5% of the posts had anything to do with technology. It was all about liberal politics and animal activism. One time a woman posted a "poem" that was just a bunch of sentences talking about how many men she's "f----d" [censoring mine], how she's proudly had three abortions, and a few other things that I can't even reference b/c it's just too offensive. Anyway, when a couple people complained, the community came down hard on them, accusing them of not being open-minded and (my favorite) not appreciating art.

Ah, Austin.