Abortion Regrets

An artist killed herself after aborting her twins when she was eight weeks pregnant, leaving a note saying: "I should never have had an abortion. I see now I would have been a good mum."

Emma Beck was found hanging at her home in Helston, Cornwall, on Feb 1 2007. She was declared dead early the following day - her 31st birthday.

Her suicide note read: "I told everyone I didn't want to do it, even at the hospital. I was frightened, now it is too late. I died when my babies died. I want to be with my babies: they need me, no-one else does." MORE


This is a terrible story. It sounds like the woman was already troubled and the abortion sent her over the edge. No one seems to have tried very hard to help her beyond getting her in for the abortion as fast as possible.

Abortion is a crime with at least three victims: the child, the mother, and the father. Once the deed is done, all we can do for the children is pray for their souls. The parents are another matter. As with Emma Beck, many women are pressured into having abortions or left to feel that they have no other choices.

Abortion providers want us to think that liberated women dance happily into the clinics and come out with a smile on their face, freed from this extra tissue they don't want. Don't believe it. Few women go through the experience without mental, spiritual and sometimes physical scars.

Don't forget the fathers, either. While it takes two to create a pregnancy, the decision whether to abort or not lies exclusively with the woman. If the man wants to save his child, he is simply out of luck. The law is not on his side. Or he may support the abortion initially then have regrets later. The pain can last a lifetime.

Emma Beck needed help and she didn't get it. I know of at least two groups dedicated to helping post-abortive parents: Rachel's Vineyard and Silent No More Awareness. These are people in pain, and they need to know that help is available.

No comments: